Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Lesson Number Three: The Joy of Making a Real Difference



Lesson Number Three

The Joy of Making a Real Difference
April 9, 2013

Do you believe a grandmother can make a difference in the world?  I do !!! Especially these days when grandmothers are sometimes living with vigor, joy, enthusiasm and ideas well into their 80's and 90's. I'm planning on making a BIG difference. Recently I spent seven days with seven of my grandchildren while their mom and dad ran off to bask in the sun someplace in Costa Rico. I made  plans to start making the difference right away. Boldly I announced we would have dinner every night, yes, every night - together - no TV, no canned chili, no Domino's pizza delivered at 7:00. There would be a schedule: up at seven for the high school kids, up at 7:30 for the elementary and Jr. High students with family prayer and scripture reading (at least one verse) at each session.  I announced the introduction of healthy and nutritious food beginning with hot cereal of unknown grains, green smoothies, and for Friday, pancakes made with wheat free, almond, organic brown rice and oat groat flour. To buy their loyalty and make a big difference in their devotion to me, I planned to make buttermilk syrup to disguise the taste.  I had only been incarcerated for a few days when I really noticed the difference. They hated everything I made and it sounded like this: "Grandma Nanny, we don't know what this is,  it looks like hidden turkey; where's the Nutella and did you know we like take out?" The difference is overwhelming me. I think starting on Saturday we should forget carrots, broccoli, roasted root vegetables and green smoothies and get back to the things that really make a difference, like sitting and snuggling on the couch while we watch TV, drink hot Kool-Aid and eat double stuffed Oreos.

1 comment:

  1. I remember when my mother died. Everyone was bringing cakes, cookies, pies, etc. You brought whole wheat bread. You said at this time your body and your spirit need to be strong: eat good healthy food. I never forgot that.

    ReplyDelete