Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Lesson two: How you become a grandmother-Mothers beware !!!

April 3, 2013

I know a few things about being a grandmother. I have 35 grandchildren and every time I am with one of them I learn something new and astonishing. One of the things I really do know for certain is that before you can be a grandmother you need to be a mother:  step, second wife, adopted in or original. It’s absolutely essential.  You are not born a grandmother. But in the midst of mounds and  mountains of dirty clothes, broken washing machines, carpools, pets,  piano lessons, PTA, poverty or blending into a ready- made family,  becoming a grandmother is probably not the first thing on your mind.  It sure wasn’t on mine as I tried desperately just to make it through the punch list one day at a time while still breathing. Looking back on my life raising children I should have paid more attention to the down to earth honest fact that what I was really doing had huge, long term repercussions and I should have been alert to the fact that someday these little people were going to grow up and TURN INTO THE PARENTS OF OUR GRANDCHILDREN.

2 comments:

  1. I know I am going to look forward to the daily elixir of truth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well thank goodness that I, a mother, have women like you to learn from! That way, my children won't be too utterly damaged and my grandmothering can make up for it :-) I love you to pieces, Nan!

    ReplyDelete